Wednesday 11 July 2012

ITTP Prague TEFL: Guacamole (Guest contributor: Kir from Long Island)

For this week's recipe Kir again has very kindly sent one over the pond from Long Island and as always the recipe is unedited and in Kir's words:


(Click on photo to enlarge)
Okay, I made guacamole for my uncle's 4th of July Party and since I had my camera with me, I thought why not take a pic of it and send it off to you for your blog.

I made a large amount for a crowd (I used 6 avocados, where I normally use 2).

Guacamole for a Crowd:



Ingredients:

6 avocados (give them a light press with your fingertips to make sure they are ripe)
2 limes
bunch of cilantro
1/4 - 1/2 medium onion (I like vidalia onions)
3-4 cloves of garlic
2-3 tomatoes (I like Italian plum ones)
kosher or sea salt
tortilla chips (any variety you like... blue corn is my fave)

Method:

Take a chef's knife and cut/score vertically around the entire avacodo. Your knife will bang into the pit, which is what you want Than lightly twist the avacado in half. To remove the half that has the pit, take the knife and gently, but firmly chop into the pit and twist. This will release the pit from the avocado.

Scoop out avocado from skin and place in food processor along with lime juice, salt, garlic, onion and cilantro. Pulse until a smooth consistency.

Core and chop the tomatoes (you don't want the juice or pits of the tomatoes in your dip). Dump into food processor and pulse until evenly distributed (you want the tomato to be visible).

Sometimes I like to put a drop or two of tabasco (the green one is a bit milder, plus color wise matches the avocado).

There are no strict measurements, go by taste. Reserve a few sprigs of cilantro for garnish and drizzle a little extra lime juice on top. Serve this up with chips and/or raw veggies and good Mexican beer.

Enjoy!

Tip: Since the top layer of guacamole will oxidize eventually and turn a little brown, put a layer of plastric wrap directly on the dip which will prevent this.

P.S. This dip also makes a great topping on fish and chicken.




Hope it helps!

Dobrou chut!/Bon appetit!

Neville :-)
info@tefl-prague.com
http://www.tefl-prague.com
http://www.tefl-tesol-online.com
http://ittp-tefl-prague-tesol.blogspot.com