Tuesday 10 April 2012

ITTP Prague TEFL Review/Graduate update: Eric Fuchs checking in...

Hello Neville! This is Eric Fuchs from April 2009. I thought I would write and tell you how things are going.

I got a job in Moscow, just like I wanted, and I have almost finished my fifth week of teaching. I work for one of the larger schools in Moscow called Language Link. It has one central school, and the rest of the schools are franchises run by various people. I work in one of the franchise schools, which is actually better for me because my director pays more and provides us with a really nice flat. I'm currently earning 33000 rubles ($1100) a month. Which is not bad considering I don't have to pay for my accommodations. My director can be a bit of a pain, but it's minor most of the time.

As for the actually teaching, I teach 30 academic hours (22.5 clock hours) a week. I teach adults, teens, individuals, and I even have a group of 5-7 year olds. It's a lot of work, but it's also a lot of fun. If I had to complain about one thing, it would be getting home at 10:15pm Monday through Thursday, but that seems to be the norm because of children going to school and people working.

If you know anyone that might be interested in working in Moscow, they are still looking for teachers. This is the website I found them on: http://www.expat.ru/vacancies.php. They've just made a new posting under  Company:InYaz. Contact:Maria. Maria is actually the director's wife and my administrator. It's not the best TEFL job in the world, but I think it's a good opportunity for someone starting out. And the academic support is actually quite good if you take advantage of it.

Hezký den,
-Eric-